Sunday, August 26, 2007

Home again, home again

I arrived home safe and sound yesterday afternoon. The jetlag has hit me harder coming home from Europe than it did coming home from Asia... not sure why. I've been in lazy mode all day... which isn't a bad place to be on a rainy Sunday.

The end of the story in Brussels consisted of a trip to the Royal Palace, business home of the King of Belgium, who opens the palace to the public from Belgium Independence Day (July 21) through the first part of September. The royal family's impressive art collection was on display, including some very interesting modern art pieces. I agree with my tourguide (and co-worker) Gert, who stated, as we walked through the hall with the modern art displayed, "Any one of these would look good in my house." The palace is amazing, but what completely enthralled me was the short side trip we took to the archeological dig currently occurring immediately next to the Royal Palace, under the current BELvue Museum... the old palace at Coudenberg. I literally got to walk on the same cobblestones as the Emperor, Charles V! Very cool!

After a short drive around the Woluwe / Kraainem area looking for a grocery store where I could buy beer (found it - Delhaize, known as Food Lion in the States), I headed back to the hotel to pack and get ready to head home.

Brussels was my first foray into Europe, but I'll be back. :)

No comments: