Monday, August 20, 2007

A day at the office

Interesting, a day at the office in Brussels is eerily similar to a day at the office in Pune, which is eerily similar to a day in the office in Atlanta. Hmmmm... maybe the world isn't as big as we all think it is.

Things I've learned about Brussels so far:
  • All signs are written in both French and Dutch
  • It rains a LOT here
  • 16C with a light drizzle is considered pretty comfortable weather
  • It's hard to find English on TV (BBC World is one, but I'm tired of the news)
  • French and Dutch sound very different from each other
  • Only eat mussels (even in Brussels) in a month that ends with R (I actually already knew this one, thank you Molly, but I heard it again today when I mentioned that I wanted mussels on Wednesday, when several of us from the office are to go to dinner together)
  • A smorrebrod is a baugette, and it's good with pesto, mozzerella, tomato & onion
  • Various mayonaise-based spreads are common on smorrebrod, as is smoked salmon and soft spreadable brie-like cheeses
  • Brussels is an expensive city... and about 50% moreso because the dollar against the euro is really pitiful
  • Belgium is currently ranked 5th in the European Football (soccer for us Americans) Association, with a finals qualifier to be played on Wednesday in Brussels at King Baudouinstadium (hmmmm... maybe we can go THERE for dinner...)

If you're looking for pictures, you'll have to wait until I get home. I forgot the cable that plugs the camera into the laptop.

No comments: